Source: Amazon Packaging Program
Published: August 2019
Circulated: September 24, 2019
In 2017 alone, customers reduced packaging waste by 16% and avoided 305 million shipping boxes by picking Frustration-Free Packaging products. The FFP program was launched in 2008 and has 3 tiers.
Tier 3 (Prep-Free Packaging)
- Requires an over box from Amazon to ship the item.
- Passed testing to ensure minimal damage from Fulfillment Center to Customer delivery.
Tier 2 (Ships In Own Container)
- Tier 3 requirements.
- Ships without an Amazon overbox (this avoided 305 million shipping boxes in 2017).
Tier 1 (Frustration-Free Packaging)
- Tier 2 & 3 requirements.
- Packaging must be made of 100% curbside recyclable materials.
- Must be easy-to-open by the customer (e.g. no scissors needed, no packing peanuts).
- Product-to-Packaging ratio 50%+ for non-fragile items (product volume / total packaging volume).