Published: June 2020
Online Activity in the UK
Circulated: July 17, 2020
The UK’s communications regulator, Ofcom, provides insights on how internet usage and attitude towards the internet has changed over time, including during COVID-19:
- 87% of people over the age of 16 in the UK use the internet.
- 81% of time spent online was through mobile devices or tablets.
- From November of 2019 to April 2020, internet usage has increased by an average of 34 minutes each day (+37%).
- 39% of time online is spent on Google or Facebook and their affiliated websites.
- Weekly use of online video calling services has increased from 35% to 71% (November 2019 to April 2020)
- 86% of adults remain wary of potential online scams, data breaches, or adverse reactions.