Source: Plain Language
Published: October 2020
Use active voice
Active voice makes it clear who is doing what. It eliminates ambiguity about responsibilities. Passive voice obscures who is responsible for what.
✘ Passive Voice
- The document about delighting customers was written by the company.
- The video was streamed on Twitch.
- The Climate Pledge was signed.
✔ Active Voice
- Zappos wrote the document about delighting customers.
- Zhang streamed the video on Twitch.
- 105 companies have signed the Climate Pledge.
Bonus: Use the Zombie test: If you can add “…by Zombies” at the end of a sentence, rephrase it to use active voice.