Published: February 2018
What Makes a Manager Great
Circulated: December 11, 2019
In 2008 a team of Google researchers launched Project Oxygen — an effort to determine what makes a manager great. They learned that eight behaviors are common among the highest performing managers. In 2018, this list expanded to ten.
Note: While Google uncovered what makes a great manager at the company, it doesn’t mean what works for Google managers will work for any organization.
The 10 behaviors of Google’s best managers:
- Is a good coach.
- Empowers team and does not micromanage.
- Creates an inclusive team environment, showing concern for success and well-being.
- Is productive and results-oriented.
- Is a good communicator — listens and shares information.
- Supports career development and discusses performance.
- Has a clear vision/strategy for the team.
- Has key technical skills to help advise the team.
- Collaborates across the company.
- Is a strong decision maker.