Source: Harvard Business School (28:10)
Published: September 2020
When Pursuing New Businesses
Circulated: December 16, 2020
“At Amazon, we have a model for how we look at new businesses to pursue. There are five criteria:
- If we build it and it is very successful, would it move the needle?
- Is the customer being well-served today?
- Do we have a differentiated approach to our offering?
- Do we have competence in the area? If not, can we acquire it quickly?
- Can we put a group of single-threaded, focused people on the initiative?”
- Andy Jassy, CEO of Amazon Web Services