Source: Amazon Web Services
Published: April 2018
Working Backwards at Amazon
Circulated: August 1, 2019
“The Working Backwards process is a huge amount of work. But, it will save you even more work later on.” — Jeff Bezos
We begin the process of Working Backwards with 5 questions:
- Who is the customer?
- Consider the time, place, and situation
- What is the customer problem or opportunity?
- Specify a problem you are going to solve. Define the size of the problem.
- What is the most important customer benefit?
- Prioritize what the customer values.
- How do you know what customers want or need?
- Recognize that your personal experience may not be representative of customers.
- Challenge yourself to use data to back your thinking.
- What does the customer experience look like?
- Whiteboard sketch
- User journey map
- Technical architecture diagram