Source: Fact of the Day 1 interview with Amazon Doc Bar Raisers
Published: May 2021
Writing the Amazon way
Writing the Amazon way means writing a document that can be read and understood quickly.
- Define your acronyms: even if you assume your audience knows them, spell out acronyms the first time you use them. Doing so helps new team members get up to speed faster.
- Write less: remove unnecessary words. Keep sentences to 20 or fewer words.
- Avoid weasel or filler words: Remove vague terms and replace them with specificity. Instead of “some time ago,” write “three months ago.”
- Write in active voice: State the actor/subject at the beginning of the sentence. (Examples.)
- Use simple words: Check your document’s Flesch Reading Ease (over 50 is excellent for business writing) and Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level (aim for Grade 8 or lower). Here are instructions to find Microsoft Word’s readability statistics.
This fact’s readability statistics: