Tips for Business Writers
Circulated: July 21, 2020
Replace adjectives with numbers.
- AWS has launched a lot of services in a decade. -> The number of AWS services has grown from 18 in 2011 to 200+ in 2020. (Source)
Make sentences concise.
- Due to the fact that -> because
Write out acronyms the first time you use them.
- The Framework for the AWS Well-Architected Tool (WA Tool) was updated to respond to user feedback. (Source)
Vary your sentence length.
- Keep sentences less than 30 words. (Source)
Avoid weasel words that create the impression of meaning.
- “Should result in benefits in the next couple of weeks.” -> “I expect 4% reduction in customer service tickets for cold deliveries over the next 14 days.
- Examples: significantly worse, often, some people, evidence suggestions